Thank you all again for such a wonderful first year of VALA! I feel fortunate to be able to enjoy Guild Wars 2 in the company of each and every one of you, and I know that I am not the only one who shares this sentiment. When Amanda and I founded VALA (with no small amount of help from Jamey and Kris ;-)) our guiding principle was friendship and all that implies. It's always been about people, not things. Yes, we are united by this game and the game demands things of us like gear, builds and attentiveness to gameplay. But, at the end of the day, its about the amazing time we spend together. Somehow, whether it be luck, circumstance or the divine will of the Six, we get to be in a guild of genuine, caring, fun people who truly delight in the company of one another and that is more important than anything.
Now, enough waxing warm and fuzzy and on to some info I would like to share going into 2017.
Value remains the priority going forward. The in-game guild experience, Discord and the website are all meant to connect us while having individual value. Overlap is to be minimal. When there is too much overlap, value is lost and we have to start questioning need. For instance, we didn't have a website for the longest time because Discord seemed to be doing the job fine. But when we wanted to have a protracted discussion, or have a searchable repository for guild happenings, Discord has proven very ill-suited to the task.
So, going into 2017, here is what you can expect from us:
1. All pages save the front page have been made one column to reduce clutter and stay focused on the page's purpose
2. The main page will display the following:
- Weekly guild news and announcements
- A snapshot of events for the week
- Links to ANet news
- Links to game resources like Dulfy and MetaBattle
- An activity log
- A donation module
3. I will be adding a guild info and history tab
4. The K-Chronicle (short for Keepers Chronicle) is still in beta (lol), which really means I am not sure yet of it's end form. The idea behind it is to have a journal of guild exploits written in a mix of formats from really anyone. If any of you are interested in contributing, please see me so I can provide guidelines for submitting entries
Discord will remain our primary form of communication outside of game. The only change I am kicking around is looking for a way for us to share music. Imagine being able to voice chat while listening to a playlist that we can all contribute to.
Exploring ways to make the distinction between guild ranks feel more valuable
1. Promotion and other ceremonies
2. Monthly guild meetings in the guild hall (Guild Hall Meetings - our version of a town hall meeting ;-)
3. More regular officer meetings (they may remain ad hoc as they have been, but toying with the idea of maybe having a monthly check in of sorts)
4. Continued but more focused recruiting efforts that spreads the work around a little
That is it for now. If anyone has any input, please feel free to post in comments.