We have run into one of the better issues a small guild can have, if one is going to have issues at all: having more people signed up to raid than raid spots available.
We are going into our fourth week of raiding after taking a week off to work on gearing some of our members for raiding. We put the raid event up for Oct 1 and it filled up almost instantly. We have been taking a first-come first serve approach, but we hit a snag. The Vale Guardian has a fairly specific group composition requirement: 1 tank, 1 healer, 3 condi dps and 5 dps. We were looking at a full raid and two of our condi dps members had not signed up.
We could hardly go back (and be fair) on our first-come first-serve plan. But now we were facing a raid group not prepared for the Vale Guardian. What were we to do? We could:
- Postpone the raid until we remedy the situation
- See about getting two more of those signed up to run condi gear
- See about swapping two that signed up for the two already geared
- Try a different raid wing
We could not do option 1 because that creates inconsistency. We could not do option 2 because there simply is not enough time to adequately gear two individuals in time for the raid. We could not do option 3 because it isn't fair and it is inconstant with expectations we had set for the raid.
So we chose option 4. We chose a raid wing that does not have the group composition requirements that Spirit Vale does, so we can go with the group who is signed up. It's not a perfect solution, and myself (Jeric), Amanda (Cavalon) and Jamey (Winter) are very sorry that a couple of you who were expecting to raid will not be able to this week. But we have a plan in place to stave off that occurring again...
To wit, we have revamped our approach to raiding and are coming at it in a 3-pronged way:
- The Main Raid will stay as is on Saturday evenings. It will be first come, first serve with overflow signups getting precedence in the following week's Main Raid
- There will be a mid-week (Wednesday night) raid, focusing on practicing the raid encounters, that will draw on who is on at the time with empty spots to be filled with PUGs
- Finally, Jamey (Winter), our Maia of Adventure, will be running a more structured (without compromising fun) raid that will be focusing on the raid content that has stricter group composition requirements (Wing 1 basically). He will be assembling a master roster of everyone who is interested in raiding and drawing individuals from that roster to create raid groups that meet the compositional requirements necessary.